Thank you very much for your attendance and contribution to YOUMARES 6. It was a great pleasure to meet you all at the network meeting, and we hope that YOUMARES was fruitful and rewarding for you!
126 participants – 10 sessions – 47 presentations – 29 posters
Preceded by the annual meeting of the German Society of Marine Research (DGM) and the DGM-Forum, YOUMARES 7 was again a great success where we could enjoy the various talks and workshops as well as spending time together. Around 110 participants joined YOUMARES 7 at the University of Hamburg. Eleven sessions gave an insight into the research fields of young researchers and students. Many ideas and contacts were exchanged which is the main idea – and it was truly inspiring.
Lisa Hentschel from the Oceanphilosophers wrote: “Around 110 participants joined YOUMARES 7 at the University of Hamburg. Eleven sessions gave an insight into the research fields of young researchers and students. It is one of the charming aspects of YOUMARES that also Bachelor and Master students have an audience to present their work. Young scientists organised everything informally, always a hand to give and a hand to receive help, that in the end everyone was sitting with an ‘UR-Knall’- beer philosophising about how we can really manage EU-fisheries or dancing their PhDs in the Volt-Bar… Thanks for that experience!”
As a long time supporter, SPRINGER sponsored awards for the three best poster and oral presentations:
- Tom Langbehn – Photoperiodic implications on visual foraging in polar marine ecosystems in Session 4 – DEEP | DARK | COLD – Frontiers in polar and deep sea research
- Jana Greuer & Michael Rudolph – Catcher in the ocean: Organic ligands and their role in marine life cycles in Session 2 –Dissolved Organis Matter (DOM) in aquatic systems: Assessment and applications
- Veloisa Mascarenhas – Remote sensing essential optical parameters for environmental monitoring of Sognefjord and Trondheimsfjord, Norway in Session 8 – Coastal & marine pollution in the Anthropocene: Identifying contaminants and processes
Best Oral Presentations
- Spela Korez – Effects of microplastics in the marine isopod Idotea emarginata in Session 8 – Coastal & marine pollution in the Anthropocene: Identifying contaminants and processes
- Natalie Prinz – Small particles, big problem! Microplastic and pelagic fish larvae in Session 8 – Coastal & marine pollution in the Anthropocene: Identifying contaminants and processes
- Christopher Nowak – Physiological adaptations of mesophotic corals across a depth gradient in Session 6 – How do communities adapt?
The winners were awarded book vouchers and small gifts from Springer.
YOUMARES 7 Sessions:
- From egg to juvenile: Advances and novel applications to study the early life history stages of fishes
Session chairs: Franziska Bils, Maik Tiedemann
- Dissolved organic matter in aquatic systems: Assessment and applications
Session chair: Rafael Conçalves-Araujo
- Fighting eutrophication in shallow coastal waters
Session chairs: Nardine Stybel, Dr. René Friedland
- Deep, dark and cold – Frontiers in polar and deep sea research
Session chairs: Alexandra Schoenle, Tom Langbehn
- Going global: Invasive and range-expanding species
Session chair: Simon Jungblut
- How do communities adapt?
Session chairs: Giannina Hattich, Luisa Listmann
- Marine species interactions and ecosystem dynamics: Implications for management and conservation
Session chairs: Dr. Xochitl Cormon, Moritz Stäbler, Alexander Keth
- Coastal and marine pollution in the Anthropocene: Identifying contaminants and processes
Session chairs: Anderson Abel de Souza Machado
- Social dimensions of environmental change in the coastal marine realm
Session chairs: Janne Rohe, Stefan Partelow, Martin Lukas, Eric Tomatey Lawer, Katie Nelson, Rebecca Borges
- Phytoplankton: Are we all looking at it differently? Diverse methods and approaches to the study of marine phytoplankton
Session chairs: Ingrid M. Angel Benavides, Larissa K. Schultze
- Coral reefs and people in changing times
Session chairs: Ryan McAndrews, Jan-Claas Dajka
Vera Golz, Julia Lange, Christian Jessen, Maya Bode, Lena Heel, Jasmin Heiden, Christina Hörterer, Joeline Ezekiel, Elham Kamyab, Felix Roßbach, Frederike Böhm, Abel Machado, Viola Liebich, Veloisa Mascarenhas, René Benkendorf
PROGRAMME YOUMARES 7 (PDF)